Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Identification in culture



Identifying myself in American culture can be somewhat hard. There are just so many things that can be said about myself because, in reality, I am a combination of different influences. Whether it is a parenting, work, culture, or a political influence, they all help form who I am today.

If I had to pick one of the top things that have influenced me, however it would have to be my parents and the Puerto Rican environment. My parents have influenced me to believe what I do now, follow certain standards and most of all do things right the first time. On the other hand, the Puerto Rican Culture or Environment has taught me to in other words just not be shy, be an outgoing person.

For example in American culture Americans don't have "Parrandas" (a big gathering of the people going crazy and singing traditional Puerto Rican songs). Puerto Ricans have them almost every day, it's part of our normal day in life where we go out have fun and sing until we can no longer continue anymore. These Parrandas have been going on for more than 200 years and in Puerto rico you cant possibly be in one and not have the best of times. This not only brings you fun but teaches you the value of coming together as one.

The culture has taught me the value of family and most of all how they will always be there for me. Again one of the most influential aspects of my life has to be being Puerto Rican because of the big part it hits, family. Family is everything to my culture.







3 comments:

  1. Good start here. I wonder--can you explore Puerto Rican culture a bit more? I feel you scratched the surface here, but I'd love to know what those "certain standards" are that you say above, and how they differ from suburban, Northern Virginia culture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting, I have heard about many hispanic cultures setting high values on their family. A few weeks ago over spring break I actually went to Puerto Rico and noticed that the people there were very outgoing. The environment was amazing everyone almost seemed united in the community. My favorite part though was the food! The tostones and mahfungo was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also can relate to what your talking about. Having parents constantly talking about family and the importance of the community. The importance of family in a culture that is not American can make a big impact on the type of person that you become and ultimately shapes who you are today.

    ReplyDelete