Thursday, March 24, 2016

White African

“Anas, where are you from?”
“Morocco.”
“Oh, where’s that at?”
“It’s in North Africa.”
“Africa! How? You’re lighter than me.”

 Being an immigrant from Africa and not looking like the average stereotype that everyone imagines when they hear “African” has been a sort of interesting experience in my life. Because of me being from Morocco, most of my friends have either been black or African. My best friend, Sidi Kella, is from Sierra Leone. I always funny being the only light kid in a group with dark skinned black kids, it’s sort of like, I don’t belong there, but at the same time I’m from the same place they’re from. I feel like this has also changed my personality, whether it be the way I dress, or the type of music I listen to, and my interests.

 I don’t really get to visit Morocco much, but when I head back it’s always an amazing country. I was born and grow up in a seaside city, Safi. It’s kind of quite in Safi, just a small city, with amazing beaches and waves. The city that never sleeps however is Casablanca or also known as “Casa” in Morocco. Casa is pretty much New York City on acid. The nightlife there is just amazing. The whole country is amazing, but nothing beats Safi and Casa.
© Scott E Barbour
The greatest part about Morocco is the food culture. Moroccan cuisine absolutely the best. Of course everyone knows about couscous. A pure ritual, Moroccan couscous is a delicacy prepared traditionally every Friday in Morocco. In my home city, one of my favorite foods is sardines. Not the garbage you pull out of a can, but freshly caught and grilled to a perfection. Not only is Moroccan cuisine delicious, but extremely healthy.
© Groupon
Being a Moroccan American is my culture, who I am, something that will have to stick with me. It has shaped me, the food I eat, the way I talk, my interests in art and music, my religious faith. Being Moroccan is having to deal with question on why I am so light, but I don't mind explaining.
© Afro Pop

2 comments:

  1. Very good post. I think you have a great start here--and maybe you could expand by describing the different cultures in Morocco, as it's not a homogeneous country, right? What is your religion? Do you ever imagine you'll move back at some point? Do you find yourself immersing in Moroccan communities here in the United States?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you incorporated pictures for every sub-topic in your post, you have a good descriptive element and make this post very easy to read and interesting. With the flow you have so far I think you could take it one step further and go more in depth about Moroccan culture, personally I'm interested in hearing about the religious aspects of the country.

    ReplyDelete